Thursday, September 06, 2007

Una (non) furtiva lacrima

Once upon a time, after reading or telling a (bedtime) story, on the children’s demand intoning with my deepest voice “the song”, there would quite frequently a caring voice been chirping, “Sean, why wouldn’t you try it in a friendly manner first?”

”But the children love it”, I’d say, vehemently nodding and rolling my eyes at my audience who would immediately tell the chirping voice what they had learnt by heart: “Pavarotti would give up his career, if only once he could listen Daddy singing.”

Anyway, despite the enormous popularity that I achieved with “What shall we do with the drunken sailor”, this chirped question was – there can’t be any doubt – the main reason that I lost the little interest in the opera that had been remaining.

End of the antecedent.

Although not really fond of opera, it was always a pleasure for my ears to hear Luciano Pavarotti singing.

Was?

Is.

Right now I can/do listen to his voice. Nessun dorma.

And yes, although agnostic I do not deny “Una furtiva lacrima”.


No comments:

Post a Comment