Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Young May Moon


The young May moon is beaming, love,
The glow - worm's lamp is gleaming, love;
How sweet to rove
Through Morna's grove,
When the drowsy world is dreaming, love!
Then awake! - the heavens look bright, my dear,
'Tis never too late for delight, my dear;
And the best of all ways
To lengthen our days
Is to steal a few hours from the night, my dear!

Now all the world is sleeping, love,
But the Sage, his star - watch keeping, love,
And I, whose star
More glorious far
Is the eye from that casement peeping, love.
Then awake! - till rise of sun, my dear,
The Sage's glass we'll shun, my dear,
Or in watching the flight
Of bodies of light
He might happen to take thee for one, my dear!

Thomas Moore

8 comments:

  1. :) Well, yes, the pic shows an 'old' moon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think that means it is time for sleep for me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enchanting moment...

    For people of all ages!
    'Tis never too late for delight, my dear'

    :) I love the 'old' moon in the bluish-purple night sky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CherryPie,
    ha ha ha - the peace of the night.

    Claudia,
    didn't check at what age Moore wrote this, but yes: delight is ageless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Sean.... I admire people who can write like that! :)I wish I had that ability....

    It's 10.10 pm and I am off to bed as well.... :)
    good night ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that beautiful photo Sean not to mention the thought of stealing a few hours from the night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! I must purchase a collection of his works

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nevin,
    to write (something) like this, perhaps you should once try to become acquainted with the night - she's at times a magic word whisperer. :)

    Janice,
    I'll forward your compliment as it's our astrophysist who deserves the credit: That very day he spent all night observing, while I was stealing the night a few hours of sleep. :)

    Jams,
    he didn't at least manage to get considered the worst of all poets. :)

    ReplyDelete