Monday, January 10, 2022

Beers & Books CLXXXVII – Gianni Celati

Nella vita d'un turista che va un po' lontano,
credo che a un certo punto sorge
per forza la domanda:
"Ma cosa sono venuto qui a fare?"
Domanda che mette in moto
il gran cinema delle giustificazioni con se stessi,
per non dirsi sul serio:
"Sono qui a non far niente"
*
In the life of a tourist who goes a little far away,
I think that at a certain point the question necessarily arises:
"What did I come here for?"
This question sets in motion
the great cinema of justifications to oneself,
so as not to say seriously:
"I'm here to do nothing".

Gianni Celati (10 January 1937 – 3 January 2022)

6 comments:

  1. Nice one - I don't go anywhere to do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more, as to do nothing I don't need to go anywhere.

      Delete
  2. A much neglected and rewarding inactivity - doing nothing. Good things still happen, internally, when you don't actively "do" them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sean, I guess I'm pretty late with this, as for our calendar and the Chinese one, and a little early as for the Persian calendar, but we haven't had a chat yet in 2022, so I would like to wish you a happy, clear and healthy New Year, with lot's of good reads and even better drinks.
    Some thoughts about the quote now...
    In my opinion, any living creature is not capable to do "nothing".
    Even when we sleep, we're "sleeping", "breathing", sometimes even "dreaming"... How would Mr. Gianni Celati define "doing nothing" I wonder.
    Have a great evening and looking forward to hear from you =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With 39 days delay, Happy 2022 to you, too, loveliest of all Lindas. ;-)
      I think Gelati did not mean it that literary.

      Delete