Thursday, April 14, 2022

Who are the lower-class individuals then?

Seven studies using experimental and naturalistic methods reveal that upper-class individuals behave more unethically than lower-class individuals. In studies 1 and 2, upper-class individuals were more likely to break the law while driving, relative to lower-class individuals. In follow-up laboratory studies, upper-class individuals were more likely to exhibit unethical decision-making tendencies (study 3), take valued goods from others (study 4), lie in a negotiation (study 5), cheat to increase their chances of winning a prize (study 6), and endorse unethical behaviour at work (study 7) than were lower-class individuals. Mediator and moderator data demonstrated that upper-class individuals’ unethical tendencies are accounted for, in part, by their more favourable attitudes toward greed.
Abstract taken from here.
Supporting information here

10 comments:

  1. I am unsurprised. In my (admittedly limited) experience they are more likely to behave uncharitably too, particularly to those they view as beneath them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this has a lot to do with what a German saying describes as Radfahrermentalität: Nach oben buckeln, nach unten treten. / Cyclist's mentality: Hunching up, kicking below.

      Delete
  2. Who are they? All the "idiots and losers" according to high and mighty ones, I expect. As for me, it sounds like my class varies from day to day and circumstance to circumstance, if this research is to be believed (which it probably is best not to be).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not assign myself to any "class". My question was aimed at who is ultimately on the lowest rung of the character ladder.
      Why do you think it would be the best not to believe in the result of this research?

      Delete
    2. Is there a natural scientist turning up his selective nose at humanities scholars? ;-)

      Delete
    3. Perish the thought; but have you been following the revelations that much research in the psycho-social "sciences" utterly fails replication tests, due to a host of weaknesses including small sample size, biased and selective assignment into groups, vastly over-extended generalisations, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera? It is a problem shared by much research, but especially so in the psycho-social sciences. Then there is fraud (Freud?) I am fairly sure I could design a small sample experiment to allegedly prove the upper classes (as selectively defined by me of course) were kinder and more ethical than lower classes (as selectively defined by me), if I wished that result to be found.

      Delete
    4. You undoubtedly would.
      I remember a report, 2010, after the earthquake in Haiti: The poorest of the poor kept little slaves in their miserable slums - orphans.
      Imagine us enjoying a fine drink in Pitlochry.

      Delete
    5. I discovered an - the only - English Trappist beer today, (who knew of such a thing?) see image on my blog; and it truly is an exceptional brew that I suspect even Prof. T. might enjoy (if, perhaps, you did not reveal the country of origin). Pre-Assyrian ale was probably ok too, if perhaps somewhat rough and rustic. Cheers and goodnight - I have had a busy and long but rewarding day.

      Delete
    6. Ah, I had a Hacker Pschorr and Kaiser Heinrich Urstoff.
      May the night reward you with peace after your busy and rewarding day.

      Delete