Friday, May 28, 2021

At The Mid Hour Of Night

At the mid hour of night, when stars are weeping, I fly
To the lone valley we loved, when life shone warm in thine eye;
And I think oft, if spirits can steal from the regions of air
To revisit past scenes of delight, thou wilt come to me there
And tell me our love is remember'd even in the sky!
Then I sing the wild song it was once rapture to hear
When our voices, commingly, breathed like one on the ear;
And as Echo far off through the vale my sad orison rolls, I think,
O my Love! 'tis thy voice, from the Kingdom of Souls
Faintly answering still the notes that once were so dear.

Thomas Moore (28 May 1779 – 25 February 1852)


4 comments:

  1. Sheer and touching ...
    Could be a poem Orfeus singing for Eurydice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that is a fine thought – Orpheus singing for Eurydice,

      Delete
  2. For some unknown reason that beautiful poem shows in my reader - and disappears when I open the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know what happened, Sue, and I can`t find my mistake. Perhaps I shall try again on Moore's 243rd birthday. ;-)

      Delete