Sunday, October 09, 2022

Dans le port d' Amsterdam

Four days before I became 25 in 1978, Jacques Brel died. I was young, and sad. Not too sad, though. I was young. Today I realise, I have – so far – been allowed to live twenty years longer than this fascinating man. And I wonder [attention: rhetorical question]: Is life fair? Time to thank those who have been and still are kind to me, to those who love me and to her who only today said "I love you like mad". If I were a magician everyone reading these lines – and everyone not reading them – would feel her / his heart filled with serenety and love. With exception of those bastards I do wish an extraordinarily long life with but one tooth left – and 59 minutes toothache each hour – and slowly and painfully rotting testicles! To mention but a few contemporaries: . . . Uff! So many?! Oh dear!! Surely you will know some more. May lots of empathy be upon you . . . and me. :) I leave you with . . . Jacques Brel.


Jacques Brel (April 8th, 1929 – October 9th, 1978)

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for those lovely wishes - which I reciprocate. Both the good and the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just few words, such as his, are so better than the far too many that far too many use. I feel, increasingly (tapping my keys less but hoping to better effect, just possibly).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Logorrhoea is undoubtedly another pandemic plaguing humanity.

      Delete
  3. I must confess that I have never listened to anything by Jacques Brel before so thank you for giving me that experience. It is a strange song sung with such commitment that you can't help feeling entranced by it. Nice to learn that you were born in the same month and the same year as me. This makes for a certain kind of kinship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely you felt entranced, Neil, and thanks for letting me know. And yes, same with me, I found nice, too, to learn that I am five days younger than you. ;-)
      And I appreciate you do not take amiss I am born on the 28th birthday of the UK's first female prime minister.
      At least her approval rating and Johnny Carson in the 1980s let me earn quite a few pints in Ireland.
      What is the difference between England and America? America has Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope. England has Maggie Thatcher, no cash and ...

      Delete
    2. Oh dear! Born on Thatcher's birthday. You poor bugger!

      Delete
    3. I am so glad that someone has finally realised how much I suffer from this. Thank you for your compassion, Neil.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful music. To fill all hearts with serenity and love would make this heaven upon Earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the music, Mimi. As for heaven on Earth: Ach, if only I were a magician. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Només amb un t'estim, ja em donaria per satisfeta...

    La vida no és justa, mentre hi hagi un només d'aquests bastards.

    En Brel sempre al cor.

    Aferradetes, Sean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si entenc correctament la vostra primera frase, em posa trist.
      Pel que fa al segon: malauradament, això és cert.
      Pel que fa al tercer: completament "sí"!
      If I understand your first sentence correctly, it makes me sad.
      As for the second: I'm afraid that's true.
      As for the third: "Yes" with all my heart!
      Aferradetes, Paula!

      Delete