Saturday, March 02, 2024

In memoriam Claude

Today three years ago, my dear friend Claude died.
I am still sad, miss her, and at the same time I am grateful that once in 2008 she stumbled upon Omnium and thus allowed me to meet an extraordinary woman.

For many years Claude used to live with Innuit as a nurse.
Today I share with you one of the photos she took and one of her poems.

Thank you for everything, Claude. De tout coeur.


A MAN MUST FACE HIMSELF
 
I hung two sealskins on my wall....
 
Some people say
'Oh! the poor dear things!'
with pity in their hearts,
while chewing bloody steak
and cuddling in fur coats.
 
And I think of
Jonahsie
magnificently himself: a Man,
hunter by destiny
spearing the seals,
with no guilt in his soul,
no pity in his heart,
but beaming pride
that his day-work was done:
the best for his kin---
and that's all he could do...
 
And I think of
Kakee, his wife,
cleaning, stretching, smoothing, sewing the skins
with a skill
as old as the Woman called Eve,
and bringing me the gift
with beaming pride:
the best for a friend---
and that's all she could give...
 
And I wonder why
we worry about who eats whom
when Life is a cycle?
We all prey, and we grow
feeding on each other.
 
A seal
a breathing tomato
an egg that could be born
a drink of pure water
a flower for a vase
some grass to walk upon
the warmth of the sun, of a smile, of a body
a poem for a soul
and stars to fill a dream.
 
I hung two sealskins on my wall...
 
A Man must face himself
and accept it!
 
Claude Prévost Gamble
 (June 1970)

15 comments:

  1. Ha! I just realised I published this very poem last year already; only the photo is different.
    Claude would smilingly say: "I told you, Sean, age is taking its toll."
    Which is why I leave it at that. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realised the above! Amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sabia que ja l'havia llegit, però m'ha impactat igualment rellegir-ho.
    En molt poques ocasions et pots trobar amb persones que et deixin tanta empremta... Una dona amb el coneixement dels valors de la vida.

    Aferradetes, Sean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think this poem tells a lot about Claude's wisdom.
      Aferradetes, dear Paula.

      Delete
  4. I am sorry for the loss of your friend.
    A hug !.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always hoped to celebrate her hundreth birthday with her. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Claude was an amazing woman and a beautiful soul. I too miss her, she had so much wisdom and warmth to share with us.

    This is a beautiful tribute to her :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my dear. March has become the month of missing souls. Already ten years that Jams so suddenly died.
      The more I do enjoy that you and I kept and keep in contact all those years.

      Delete
    2. I was thinking of Jams as I posted my comment.

      Strangely, earlier today a friend of mine posted photos of his visit to the place that I visited a few days after Jams sudden death. That place always reminds me of Jams.

      We are kindred spirits so I too enjoy that we have kept in contact over so many years.

      Delete
    3. Not only kindred spirits we are, but also ... night owls. ;-)

      Delete
    4. We are :-)

      Perhaps I should go to bed now ;-)

      Delete
  6. I've been a bit missing in action for no good reason other than the intrusive busyness of life but this is the perfect spot to say that I'm thinking of you, too, dear Sean. Claude's photo is amazing and her poem is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it lovely that "inmidst all silence" we can (almost) be sure we are thinking of eachother? ;-)
      Thank you, Signora Pipistrello!
      So you are back from your visit to Paris?

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry you lost your friend.

    It is true, if you are willing to eat meat, don't fuss at those who provide it for you.

    ReplyDelete