Yes, the stories, spread across 440 pages, are between 10 and 30 pages long. And sorry, I wasn’t precise enough, Paula. The stories collected in this volume were originally published in the monthly magazine *story* between August 1946 and December 1949. The magazine’s aim was to introduce German readers to literature from abroad, which they had been deprived of during the twelve years of the shortest of all millennial empires. Petonets.
I like such collections, I've read several such (although not this one, of course). It's always fascinating to look at the world through the eyes of others around the globe.
As I already "told" Mimi: Anthologies offer wonderful opportunities to get to know "new" authors whose existence one might never have known about. Una abraçada, Carme.
Forty years later and still worth reading — that says a lot about a good book. And short stories from 28 countries make it a wonderful journey through different places and voices. Enjoy your reading, Sean!
Because of my job, for many years I mostly read novels only on vacation, but at least one short story every night. A great pleasure after a long day. ;-) Gauaren bakea, Gumer maitea.
Pel gruix del llibre, deuen ser petites històries.
ReplyDeletePetonets, Sean.
Yes, the stories, spread across 440 pages, are between 10 and 30 pages long. And sorry, I wasn’t precise enough, Paula. The stories collected in this volume were originally published in the monthly magazine *story* between August 1946 and December 1949. The magazine’s aim was to introduce German readers to literature from abroad, which they had been deprived of during the twelve years of the shortest of all millennial empires.
DeletePetonets.
I like such collections, I've read several such (although not this one, of course). It's always fascinating to look at the world through the eyes of others around the globe.
ReplyDeleteI really should count the many anthologies on my shelves. Over the years, they've helped me discover authors whose work I wanted to read more of.
DeleteMolt bona idea, de fer conèixer les literatures estrangeres, a base de contes curts… deu ser un llibre preciós!
ReplyDeleteUna abraçada.
As I already "told" Mimi: Anthologies offer wonderful opportunities to get to know "new" authors whose existence one might never have known about.
DeleteUna abraçada, Carme.
Forty years later and still worth reading — that says a lot about a good book. And short stories from 28 countries make it a wonderful journey through different places and voices. Enjoy your reading, Sean!
ReplyDeleteA warm hug.
Because of my job, for many years I mostly read novels only on vacation, but at least one short story every night. A great pleasure after a long day. ;-)
DeleteGauaren bakea, Gumer maitea.