01 September 2026

Beers & Books (454) – Fischer vs. Spasski

The complete games 
from the World Chess Championship in Reykjavik, 
with detailed commentary


On 1 September 1972, the chess world had a new world champion. The American Robert ‘Bobby’ Fischer, a highly unpleasant character, ended the decades-long dominance of Russian chess players in Reykjavik with a 12.5–8.5 victory over the defending champion Boris Spassky, and pocketed the highest prize money ever awarded in chess up to that point: 78,125 dollars from the host country, Iceland, and the British banker Jim Slater, with special permission from the Bank of England, had a special prize of 50,000 pounds sterling transferred to an Icelandic bank account.

10 comments:

  1. Sempre l'he trobat un joc molt interessant, però malauradament no hi ha hagut mai ningú que me n'ensenyés.
    Petonets, Sean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned it the "hard" way, Paula.
      Petonets.

      Delete
  2. I imagine this would be a chess player’s dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Una buena combinación. Yo siempre pierdo al ajedrez 🤦 un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also lost EVERY TIME over the course of 13 years, only managed a draw perhaps a handful of tímes.
      But at the end of that year, December 1972, I’d won the family championship against my father. Afterwards he would be happy to manage a draw now and then. ;-)
      Un abrazo, Nuria.

      Delete
  4. Aquest llibre segur que no el llegiré. Els escacs i jo mai no ens hem dut gaire bé. Reconec el seu prestigi, però no m'han interessat mai. I sé com es juga, però nomsé jugar bé.

    Abraçades, Sean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After 54 years the book is probably no longer available, Carme.
      It’s fascinating, anyway, that *Fischer v Spassky* happened to fall into my hands again just yesterday – exactly 54 years to the day since the end of that ‘match of the century’.
      Abraçades!

      Delete
  5. The game enthralls me - but I wouldn't call myself a player.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Mark, how good to see you! So you received my e-mail, the other day?
      As for chess: I haven't played for many years. So we might be on the same level. ;-)

      Delete