Thursday, October 23, 2008

Social Perversity in Turkey

... or: 'Social reality' in Turkey

Variations on a dialogue (in 2010?):

1.

- You say you have been gang raped by bureaucrats, men of law, politicians and an 80-year-old retired general?!

- Yes.

- What’s your age?

- 13.

- So you should go home and tell your parents.

- ?

- They can file a complaint if they wish.

- But it’s me who …

- You are too young to differentiate what is rape and what is love.

- But …

- Your family will know how to restore your family’s honour. Farewell.

***

2.

- So you say, the day before yesterday you have been gang raped by bureaucrats, men of law, politicians and an 80-year-old retired general?!

- Yes.

- What’s your age?

- The day before yesterday?

- Yes.

- 13.

- So you should go home and tell your parents. They can file a complaint if they wish.

- But, why can’t I …

- You are too young to differentiate what is rape and what is love.

- But I am married.

- With 13?!

- No, yesterday was my birthday. And my wedding.

- Well, but that was yesterday. You were still 13 when …

- My husband got 500 dollars f …

- He was not your husband the day before yesterday, hm?

- No. … eh …Yes.

- You are obviously slightly confused. Go home, tell your parents and your husband, and they will know how to restore your family's honour. Good night and good luck.


Irreal?

Well, read this, and then go on talking.

h/t Internation musings

8 comments:

  1. How sickening that a girl of 14 and younger is considered too young to know what abuse is but supposedly old enough to know what love and marriage means.
    There are times one is ashamed to be part of humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read things like this I don't know whether to be outraged or cry.
    Each is as effective as the other. Not a jot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this post just hits the bullseye. it is hillarious for me, but unfortunately a very sad fact for some people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post dear Sean..)

    He 'we are banned' in Turkey, but we are smarter than those crooks...)
    kindest
    hans

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a bit of contradiction. Old enough to be married but too young to decide if she has been abused.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good grief Sean this is an utter disgrace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To all of you: Sorry in case I do sound like, but I feel the need to answer taciturn, as presently 'Mr. Wrath' is trying to be(come) my advisor, and I am sure he's not a good one.

    Janice,
    yes.

    jmb,
    spot on!

    SH,
    thank you. We may not have a magic wand to change insane people's mind, but we should at least speak out.
    Let's do it then.

    Hans,
    thank you, too, my friend.
    Let's try to not only be smarter!

    What I am wondering all the time is why neither the Turkish media, nor the (Turkish) bloggers would fight back.
    Seriously, we should intensify contact.

    Cherrypie,
    yes.
    And we who still have got a glimpse of freedom should start to fight the idiots.

    Jams,
    it is. And I wish I'd be able to either convince such idiots of their idiocy, or to put them in a rocket to nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the Government ought to castrate the Islamist and his supporters.
    Disgusting!

    ReplyDelete