Sunday, November 30, 2008

Acquainted with the night

I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain - and back in rain.

I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.

I have passed by the watchman on his beat

And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.


I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet

When far away an interrupted cry

Came over houses from another street,


But not to call me back or say good-bye;

And further still at an unearthly height,

One luminary clock against the sky


Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.

I have been one acquainted with the night.

Robert Frost

10 comments:

  1. Was this night where you found the peace of it, though? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not signed by Robert Frosts but by: Sean Jenning..))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crushed,
    now that's a question! :)
    Seriously tried to remember when and why I wished 'the peace of the night' for the first time - but have obviously to pay tribute to my age. :)

    jmb,
    not 100 per cent. Sometimes, I'd go to bed 'with the hens' (German idiom), and get up at four - only to listen to the birds' welcome song to a new day. :)

    Hans,
    you see me irritated. 'Jenning'? :)

    Jams, CherryPie, Nevin,
    thank you. Glad, you like what I chose to calm myself down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been one acquainted with the night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ardent,
    glad you like it. :)

    Janice,
    You too? :)

    ReplyDelete