Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Merci, Miriam Makeba

I look at a stream and I see myself: a native South African, flowing irresistibly over hard obstacles until they become smooth and, one day, disappear - flowing from an origin that has been forgotten toward an end that will never be.
Miriam Makeba [March 4th, 1932 - November 10th, 2008]
Better than any of my words, the following videos (thanks to those who offer to share them) will let you understand, perhaps even feel why I would feel deep respect for this woman, since I happened to hear her voice for the first time.


UN [1963]




Soweto Blues [1966]



Khawuleza [1966]



Pata Pata

6 comments:

  1. Did she die? I had no idea. I have always loved this woman's powerful voice and have several of her CD's.
    I think I found her through Paul Simon when she sang with him. Thanks for the information and the wonderful videos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post. She was a most dignified and beautiful woman. A sad loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jmb, Jams, Ardent, Cherrypie,
    thanks a lot.
    Yes, a wonderful courageous woman she was. And a great artist. What a mixture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this music Sean. The world has lost a special soul.

    ReplyDelete