Sunday, February 17, 2008

Heine's dead - long live Heine

Ich weiß nicht, was soll es bedeuten,
dass ich so traurig bin ...

I don't know what it may signify
That I am so sad ...


Heinrich Heine (December 13th, 1797 - February 17th, 1856)

Nachtgedanken / Night Thoughts
Denk ich an Deutschland in der Nacht,
Dann bin ich um den Schlaf gebracht.
I
ch kann nicht mehr die Augen schließen,
Und meine heißen Tränen fließen.

Thinking of Germany at night

Just puts all thought of sleep to flight;

No longer I can close an eye,

Tears gather and I start to cry.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for reminding me of heine sean, i will go and read some of his beautiful poetry right now.

    nightly peace to thee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, what a pleasure to finally tonight answer a lovely message. :)

    Glad you felt inspired to read Heine.
    And I do hope you enjoyed it thoroughly, Chris.

    The Peace of the Night to you, too.

    ReplyDelete