Wednesday, December 23, 2009

That's not enough!



The thoughts are free, who's able to guess them?
They fly by like nocturnal shadows.

No man can know them, no hunter can shoot them,

with powder and lead: The thoughts are free!


I think what I want, and what does delight me,
yet always in stillness, and as it's complying.

My wish and desire can no one deny me

and so it will be: The thoughts are free!


And if I am thrown into darksome a dungeon,

all this would be but vain an endeavour,

because my thoughts tear the gates

and walls apart. The thoughts are free!


So I will renounce my sorrows forever,

and never again with whims will plague me.

One can in one's heart always laugh and banter

and think thereby: Die Gedanken sind frei!


(translation in progress :) sj)

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that my mind is free, even when I'm chained in. It's great that I haven't been seduced by evil propaganda, that my will is not bending by the will of others. But, of course, it's not enough. With freedom of thought, I also need freedom of speech. And freedom of action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claudia,
    yes!
    And this goes for your first comment, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had missed "That's not enough!" on my first comment. That's why I rewrote it in a more complete form.

    ReplyDelete