Thursday, September 23, 2010

Fully freed

And here the fitting song from Antonín Dvořák's Rusalka


Silver moon upon the deep dark sky,
Through the vast night pierce your rays.
This sleeping world you wander by,
Smiling on men's homes and ways.
Oh moon ere past you glide, tell me,
Tell me, oh where does my loved one bide?
Oh moon ere past you glide, tell me
Tell me, oh where does my loved one bide?
Tell him, oh tell him, my silver moon,
Mine are the arms that shall hold him,
That between waking and sleeping he may
Think of the love that enfolds him,
May between waking and sleeping
Think of the love that enfolds him.
Light his path far away, light his path,
Tell him, oh tell him who does for him stay!
Human soul, should it dream of me,
Let my memory wakened be.
Moon, moon, oh do not wane, do not wane,
Moon, oh moon, do not wane....

Silberner Mond du am Himmelszelt,
strahlst auf uns nieder voll Liebe.
Still schwebst du über Wald und Feld,
blickst auf der Menschheit Getriebe.
Oh Mond, verweile, bleibe,
sage mir doch, wo mein Schatz weile.
Sage ihm, Wandrer im Himmelsraum,
ich würde seiner gedenken: mög' er,
verzaubert vom Morgentraum,
seine Gedanken mir schenken.
O leucht ihm, wo er auch sei,
leucht ihm hell, sag ihm, dass ich ihn liebe.
Sieht der Mensch mich im Traumgesicht,
wach' er auf, meiner gedenkend.
O Mond, entfliehe nicht, entfliehe nicht!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed, Claude.

    Fortunately, after a cheesy performance of Anna Netrepko I found this one of Lucia Popp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is magnificent! A discovery for me. The song and the artist. Sadly gone, but still with us.

    ReplyDelete